Friday, September 5, 2008

Pillars of the Earth

This whole blogging thing is new for me. I contribute to my work blog, but that is a whole different species of blog. So it just took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to post. I am really enjoying these book reviews. I read about the Twilight books somewhere, but the Gargoyle book is new to me. I'm not usually into fantasy, though the book I am currently reading (while I too wait for the library to send me Out) Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet seems to me to be somewhere between fantasy and historical fiction. For my recent trip to Israel, I thought it would be a good idea to travel one really big book instead of a few smaller ones. I am now about 1/2 way through the almost 1000 page book.

Anyway, back to the book. Have any of you read it? It takes place in the 12th century, and it's main characters are a builder/mason, the daughter of a disgraced earl and a prior. It all centers around the building of a cathedral. While I am not enthralled by the book, I am certainly engrossed. I think it is because though the book takes place almost 1000 years ago, the characters act and express themselves no differently than we do today. There is a certain fascination that presents itself in reading about these characters that act and feel just as we do today. I'm not sure what I expected; maybe I assumed 1000 years ago society was less materialistic. Thoughts?

1 comment:

? said...

Pillars of the Earth caught my eye, in waterstones, a month ago and was tempted almost to buy a copy. I read through the first few pages which seemed interesting but I had a choice to make considering my budget however its on my list of books to get.

I am stuck on russian literature for now. Ill visit your site again. This is a great page.