Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Out - Black comedy?

I started reading Out this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how much of it I found humorous. I found myself laughing out loud a number of times. I think it has to do with how twisted nearly all of the main characters are and how low they’re all willing to go look after themselves or make some quick $. I’m really enjoying the mix of dark humor with the ickier parts of the novel.

Any thoughts?

Am I weird to be finding comedy in such a sad/dark story?

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

you know, what? i totally agree with you. i'm reading this thinking "what the hell are these people doing?!" it really is funny in that unnerving way where you know you shouldn't be laughing but you can't help it. i'm in the middle right now, but i can't wait to get to the end to see what happens...

Liz said...

I just finished Out so that I could dive into the Omnivore's Dilemna which I just got from the library...and let me tell you, Out is super twisted. The characters seems to legitimize (and delegitimize) their actions in the most unconscionable ways.

Paula said...

I just started reading it and I feel the same way. It's funny/sad to see how the characters rationalize things to themselves.

I also like how the book is teaching me a little about Japanese society (which I know very little about). I am really stretching Tony's limited knowledge of the culture, I'll periodically look up from the book and ask him "is it really like that over there?"

Jenn Tippins said...

I also laughed several times out loud. I'm actually glad the humor made the gruesome acts less scary- I thought it would scare me the way Devil In The White City did. I did have bad dreams from the book though!

Liz I loved the Omnivore's Dilemma, when you are done we should talk about it!