Monday, November 17, 2008

Tis the Season....for Film Adaptations!

Holiday film season is here! In my weekend ritual of cruising the New York Times online, I have come across so many reviews for movies based on popular books.

So my question for the book club is:

-Which ones will you go see?

-Have you read the books?


Twilight

So I remember Tiff's previous post about the Twilight series, and I had never heard of the books before she mentioned them. But now there is apparently a movie, and it has definitely sparked my interest in wanting to read the book, or at least see the movie (if it ever makes its way to Hong Kong)

Opens November 21, 2008





Revolutionary Road


Have any of you read this Richard Yates classic? It's on my To-Read List, hope I can finish it before seeing the film! Kate Winslet and Leo reunited! Woohoo!

Opens December 26, 2008







The Tale of Despereaux

A great modern children's book by Kate DiCamillo (also wrote Because of Winn-Dixie) . The animation and art direction look really great. I love the book's full title: The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread. I think that about sums up the plot!

Opens December 19, 2008




The Reader

I read this book back in NYU days, I really enjoyed it, and too bad I wasn't in a book club back then to talk about it. Would definitely recommend reading the book. The film's director previously directed the film adaptation of The Hours, which I personally feel is one of the best book to film adaptations I have ever seen. I hope he does equally great work on this film adaptation.

Opens December 10, 2008



The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Anyone read F. Scott Fitzgerald's original short story? There was also a similar book that I saw at Barnes and Noble called The Confessions of Max Tivoli that I had wanted to read before hearing about the Benjamin Button movie. I'm not sure how different MT and BB are. I believe MT was also based off Fitzgerald's short.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/01/26/040126crbo_books

Opens December 25, 2008

3 comments:

Bukola said...

I won't be reading the Twilight books anytime soon, but the movie looks fun. I'm planning to catch it when I'm home in Minnesota for Thanksgiving.

The only book I've read on the list is Revolutionary Road. It's one the most beautiful novels I've read. It's a bleak novel and the characters are quite sad. They are a bohemian couple who end up giving up their dreams (the wife wants to be an actress; the husband, a writer) to live the American dream, but end up trapped in a loveless marriage. I'm curious to see how the actors play their parts in the movie...

All the other movies look intriuging though I'm not very familiar with the stories!

Liz said...

I haven't read any of the books! I'm interested in seeing the Benjamin Button movie, and I do like Fitzgerald, so maybe I will pick up that book first.

Possible idea for a book club cycle theme: books made into movies (or movies made into books...I think there are a few of them out there!).

Tiffany said...

Unfortunately, the only one that I've read and watched has been Twilight. While I can admit that the series isn't that good (S. Meyer isn't winning any Pulizer's anytime soon...hehe), I think I enjoyed the movie more because I had read the books. There's something about knowing more than what the movie is giving you that makes you feel like you're part of a secret club or something. Hehe.

I just recently saw Revolutionary Road and The Reader (both of which were amazing...def go out and see them!) and now I really want to read the books. I feel like I got a lot from the performances, but I know that there's always something missing in translation.

I haven't seen or read ...Benjamin Button or ...Desperaux, but I'm really looking forward to both of them!

Liz knows that I'm all about the movies, so if we did do her idea with the movies to films/films to movies, I would be all for it! hehe