Monday, February 1, 2010

Twenties Girl



After reading "The Witches of Eastwick", I was looking for something super light that I didn't have to use too many brain cells on and "Twenties Girl" by Sophie Kinsella (of "Shopoholic" fame) was a perfect fit. I have to admit, I wasn't sure that I would like it all that much, but I had it on my shelf from when I got the book from a gift bag and just figured I'd give it a try.

I haven't read the "Shopoholic" series, but I did see the film which I did enjoy (even though it came out at the height of the recession madness). Did anyone else see it?

Anyway, the story is set in London and is about this girl named Lara who has just started a new business with her best friend, consulting for big corporations looking for executives. Unfortunately for Lara, her friend (who is the one who actually has the experience in the field) has up a left her suddenly to go on vacation with a new boyfriend and has no immediately plans to return.

At the same time, Lara is forced to attend her great aunt Sadie's funeral (she lived to be 105!) and is shocked when the ghost of Sadie starts talking to her and demanding that she find a necklace that she owned before she died. At that point, all kinds of craziness gets under way.

I actually thought that this was a fun, light-hearted story and I even was thinking how it might work as a film. There would definitely be plenty of elements to play with and it would be interesting to see how the ghost could be be portrayed.

Has anyone else read this or any of Kinsella's other books?

3 comments:

Jenn Tippins said...

I just saw Shopaholic last week at work, I thought it was super cute and liked how they used SFX to make the mannequins talk to her. Wonder if that was written into the book as well. Twenties Girl sounds like a fun read!

Jenn Tippins said...

also funny, the last 3 posts all have "Girl" in the title. Guess we did pick a theme this month! : P

Paula said...

I read all the Shopaholic books and a few of her other single titles. I have a love/hate relationship with Sophie Kinsella. I couldn't really relate to Shopaholic because I hate to shop, so I couldn't imagine going shopping for fun and therapy. It's an alien concept to me.

I like that the books are so fun and light. I dislike that all of Sophie Kinsella's female protagonists are ditzy and airheaded. I would go out of my way to stay away from them in real life. She's a good writer in that she keeps pulling me into her stories despite my antipathy towards her characters.

I haven't seen the movie. Since I dislike the main character (whose name escapes me) and heard the movie was bad, I didn't chance it.

My fave book of Kinsella's is Remember Me? It has the most ambitious and career-focused heroines.