Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shanghai Girls


I've spent the last month reading like a mad woman. While I'm really enjoying school, it's so nice to be able to read for pleasure. Of the books I've read in the past few weeks (I may blog about a few of the others later), Shanghai Girls by Lisa See was by far the most fascinating.
The book follows the lives of two sisters from (you guessed it) Shanghai from the 1930s to the 1950s. I don't want to give away too many details about the story because I think those of you who choose to read it will enjoy discovering them for yourself, but anyone with a sister or a close friend will appreciate the relationship between the two sisters Pearl and May. The story of Pearl and May travels from Shanghai to the U.S. after a suprising turn of events.
In addition to its engaging narrative, I particularly enjoyed learning a little bit about Chinese history from Shanghai Girls. I wasn't aware of the turbulent relationship between the Chinese and Japanese in the late '30s and '40s, and while I was somewhat aware of the immigration challenges in the U.S. mid-century, Shanghai Girls provided me with additional insight and perspective.
During my visit to Florida last weekend, I borrowed Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, also by Lisa See, from my grandmother (we did a Lisa See book exchange), and I am excited to get started on it sooon.
Has anyone else read any books by Lisa See? If so, what are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Jenn Tippins said...

Hey Liz!

I've been wanting to read Lisa See's books for awhile. Did you know that she is mixed too? I found her grandpa's store or some other relative when I was in LA's Chinatown 2 years ago.

Yes China and Japan had a very bad relationship during that time period. My grandparents and their generation still have very strong feelings against them for those reasons...

And yes the US immigration laws were near impossible during the first half of the twentieth century for Chinese to come to the US- a reason that kept my grandfather separated from his family for over twenty years.

Will definitely read the book, sounds like a great find!

I believe she also wrote a book about her family history, called On Gold Mountain (which is what the Chinese called the US)