Tuesday, October 13, 2009

365 Days of Book Reading

Read a great story this morning from the New York Times about a suburban Connecticut mom who has spent the past year reading a book a day and blogging about her experience. I'm quite inspired!

Here's a snippet of the article:

Last Oct. 28, on her 46th birthday, Nina Sankovitch read a novel, “The Elegance of the Hedgehog,” by Muriel Barbery. The next day she posted a review online deeming it “beautiful, moving and occasionally very funny.”

The next day she read “The Emigrants,” by W. G. Sebald, and the day after that, “A Sun for the Dying,” by Jean-Claude Izzo. On Thanksgiving she read Peter Ackroyd’s biography of Isaac Newton; on Christmas, “The Love Song of Monkey,” by Michael S. A. Graziano; on July 4, “Dreamers,” by Knut Hamsun. When seen Friday, she was working on “How to Paint a Dead Man,” by Sarah Hall. She finished two more over the weekend during a trip to Rochester with her family (husband; 27-year-old stepdaughter; four boys ages 16, 14, 11 and 8) for her in-laws’ 60th wedding anniversary.In a time-deprived world, where book reading is increasingly squeezed off the page, it is hard to know what’s most striking about Ms. Sankovitch’s quest, now on Day 350, to read a book every day for a year and review them on her blog, www.readallday.org.

Read more here:

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Can I state the obvious: How did this woman have time to read one book EVERY DAY???!! Hehe. I often find it hard to read a book a month! I think it's fantastic that she's been able to read all of the books she has (which I'm sure has only helped her become a more well-rounded person for reading about all of those experiences), but at the same time, I don't know if it's a good thing to do it this way.

I don't know anything about this woman, so I can't really pass judgement, but setting this kind of goal (for me)would only making reading become a chore, a contest, something to be conquered. I wonder if at this stage she's thinking "I don't want to do this anymore, but I HAVE to!" and that she's forcing herself to finish the task she started.

On the other hand, that may not be the case at all. This woman may love books and love reading and can't imagine a day without the stories she reads.

What do you ladies think? Do you think that you could try such a quest?