Tuesday, January 27, 2009

John Updike Dead at 76


Since we have read "Rabbit, Run" as part of our bookclub, I thought everyone would be interested in this news....

Prolific, two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist John Updike has died of lung cancer at the age of 76.
According to publisher Alfred A. Knopf Inc., Updike died at a hospice not far from his home in Beverly Farms, Mass.
Several of his works wound up in Hollywood hands, most notably the James Caan-starring adaptation of one his most famous books, Rabbit, Run (which earned him his first Pulitzer), and The Witches of Eastwick, which, thanks to Jack Nicholson, Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer and Susan Sarandon became a star-studded, twice Oscar-nominated affair.
The author even went on to earn the ultimate pop-culture honor—playing himself in an episode of The Simpsons.
Updike's final work, My Father's Tears and Other Stories, his first collection of new short fiction since 2000, is scheduled for release on June 2.


Has anyone seen the film adaptation of "Rabbit, Run"? I didn't even know that there was one, but now I'd definitely be interested in seeing it...

2 comments:

Bukola said...

I haven't seen the movie, but now will be on the look out.

I’m so glad we read Rabbit, Run in our book club. John Updike has become one of my favorite writers. And if it weren’t for the book club, it probably would have taken me a long time to get around to reading him!

I ended up reading the remaining Rabbit novels last summer and loved them (especially the final one, Rabbit at Rest). Learned a great deal about American culture back in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

The books don’t go done easily, but they do stay with you and are hard to forget. Looking forward to reading more of his work in the future.

Liz said...

I'm clearly a little behind at catching up on the blog (thank you Tiff and Buki for being such avid posters)...I'm saddedned and apparently quite behind in the obituaries to hear of John Updike's passing. I too am so glad we read Rabbit Run, and I hope to get to the other Rabbit novels as well. I love the concept of the modern American novel--along with Updike, Wolfe and Roth have done a great job writing modern American fiction.

Is anyone interested in getting together for a Rabbit Run screening?